Monday, July 2, 2007

I'm the ghost with the most

I'm going to sound old, but I don't care. I have to say it: They don't make movies like they used to. Think about it-- Indiana Jones, The Thing, Killer Klowns from Outer Space, the Princess Bride, Goonies, Die Hard, Star Wars, Heathers.... I could go on and on.

Today's movies all seem like repeats and they're choked with computer generation and too much glitz. Whatever happened to the organic films with memorable scores, believable acting and original characters?

Take BeetleJuice-- Michael Keaton ruled the movie even though he was only on screen for about 15 minutes. The characters were original and mostly likable. Danny Elfman produced a score you recognize after hearing one bar. They even managed to fit a "fuck" and ball squeeze into a PG movie.

If BeatleJuice were made today it would be laden with special effects and lack all the fun of the original. I'm not saying there aren't good movies anymore, I'm just saying classics don't come along as often anymore.

And to Hollywood, please stop doing remakes of awesome movies. Johnny Depp's Charlie and the Chocolate Factory wasn't bad, but come on, how can you top the original?

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
baker said...

I think you just gave me an aneurysm…