Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Is it hot on this planet or is it just me?

Every morning I'm bombarded with stories on global warming on NPR -- ways people are trying to stop it, ways it's affecting nomads in Mongolia, ways it's making the lives of polar bears suck. I see stories on the internets constantly and Global Warming poster boy Al Gore is everywhere spouting his sanctimonious save the world crap.

I'd like to save the earth or keep it healthy, but my annoyance with this Global Warming "awareness" attack reached new heights with Live Earth.

I didn't tune into any of the concerts. I actually went out of my way to avoid it. The last thing I want to hear is a pop, rock or rap star lecturing on being green.

Rapper are notorious for driving smog-spewing SUVs. Most musicians own about 10 homes with an environmental footprint bigger than 100 of my own. They are constantly on the move, jetting across the country on planes that produce more pollution. They drink bottled water from Fiji and eat weird food that must travel thousands of miles to their pampered mouths.

Sure, it's nice that these stars give up some time to raise awareness on global warming, but I'd rather hear from someone who is making a difference than some hypocritical superstar who pollutes more than anyone I know. And what's the point of raising awareness about something everyone already knows about?

I think a more novel idea would be to have a bunch of people pledge to not drive for one day and then broadcast the concert over the internet. Maybe people could learn that it's not difficult to walk to your local grocery store, bar, ect. It makes more sense to teach methods that could turn into habits than hold a big concert that everyone will forget about in a week.

No comments: