Thursday, June 21, 2007

Not Me

A recent conversation brought a great Simpson's moment to my mind today-- Homer finishes up his Family Circus album, sighs in relief and then tosses it in the fire.

That moment really sums up the general feeling for Family Circus. It's only fit for fire.

I'm not sure how the family-friendly comic strip has lasted for as long as it has. I understand it may have appealed to American back in the feel-good '50s, but we're now in the 21st century and humor has gotten a little more cutting edge.

I'm not saying that you have to constantly swear and be dirty to be funny (like this Family Circus mockery), but I just can't see what's so funny about two kids watching a ventriloquist on TV and saying "How can a ventriloquist throw his voice when I can't even pick mine up?"

.......

Wait a minute, I think I get it now and it's quite funny. Don't I feel foolish.

1 comment:

Brittiny said...

I used to read Family Circus at my grandmother's house every week before my piano lesson. To this day I still laugh at its childlike sense of humor