Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Surprise! Another Post about TV News!

I don't know what it is about making fun of the TV news people. Sometimes it seems too easy but I've never been one to deny kicking a man when he's down is fun.

To me broadcasters are like the friend that everyone makes fun of. You put wasabi in his soda, jello in his pockets and taser him, but he still comes back for more. Maybe that's why some people* seem to enjoy kicking dogs that will still lick your hand in 5 minutes.

I don't condone kicking dogs (kittens are another matter) but I do savor pointing out the toolery of the TV news.

Early this week the morning news aired a segment on the ugliest dogs. I wonder about the station that opts for this story over going a little more in-depth on important stories. God forbid a hard news story break 30 seconds.

Good Day Columbus' Johnny DiLoretto has been doing glorified commercials lately for his morning segments. He does segments (also known as commercials) at restaurants where he explains what's on the menu and talks about how tasty everything is.

I'm beginning to think that man eats, drinks and dresses for free in this city.

The journalistic integrity in those segments remind me of something my favorite comedian once said:

Jim Norton (to reporter at Die Hard 57 opening night): What kind of questions are you going to ask Bruce Willis?
Inept TV reporter: If he's going to do Die Hard 58.
Jim Norton: Are you kidding? Bruce Willis is a whore. He'd *^%# a horse if you offered him enough money.
Horrified TV reporter: .....

Things often remind me of Jim Norton, but in this instance I think the parallel between JD and BW is strikingly obvious.

* Note to our readers: A dear, but very sadistic family member used to kick my dog. She's dead now.... The dog, that is.

No comments: