Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Bundle of Joy??

A lead story on MSNBC boasts the fact that it takes about $290,000 to raise a kid to age 17. As if I needed more reasons to never want to have a child.

I am surprised there is overpopulation. I just can't figure out what would motivate anyone to have a child. First you carrry the little moocher around for nine months as the demon child reeks havoc on your body. Then you wake up every time it cries for a painful feeding and change nasty diapers. You lose your life style and any chance of fun.

As the kid grows up you have to worry about it- Am I raising it right? Am I hugging it enough? Will it turn into a serial killer? Is it getting a good education? Is it doing drugs and having sex? Will it turn out to be a thoughtful, well-rounded person?

And you have to spend $290,000 on it, not even counting college, which you should help out with if you want your kid to have a good life.

Is there really a reason TO have a child? I think not.

3 comments:

writtenbliss said...

None of this deters me from wanting one, somehow. The $$$ sucks, though. I think I secretly look on them as automatic mouths to eat the baked goods I feel compelled to create.

Dennis said...

I can't think of a reason, either.

Fortunately, neither can my wife.

-Dennis

Class of 2000 officers said...

i need something to 1.)work on the farm and 2.)inherit my debt.

the thing is, even if we started now, the damn things would need, like, 10 years to grow before they could handle any real work.

maybe we'll adopt a few teenagers.