Thursday, May 17, 2007

Why I'm Pissed Off Today

From Detroit Free Press :"Good-bye, Opie & Anthony. XM Satellite Radio suspended them and their New York-based morning radio show for 30 days, effective immediately, possibly setting the stage for their eventual dismissal.
The offense: The duo allowed a homeless man to utter profanity and talk about wanting to have sex with some famous women on their XM-only show, which runs from 9 to about 11 a.m. and isn't bound by normal broadcast standards.
In a release, XM said a May 14 apology 'put into question whether they appreciate the seriousness of the matter. The management of XM Radio decided to suspend Opie and Anthony to make clear that our on-air talent must take seriously the responsibility that creative freedom requires of them.'"

I listen to O&A every morning and everyone knows they were hired for just this kind of content. Their job is to shock, offend and entertain. And since when are Condi, Laura Bush and Queen Elizabeth not public figures? Did I miss the memo that took our first amendment away?
I'd just like XM to appreciate the seriousness of me cancelling my XM subscription.
Jerks.

No comments: